WIABE believes that:
• Bilingualism is an asset to be encouraged and promoted. We believe in recognizing,
promoting, and publicizing excellence in Bilingual Education.
• Languages, cultures and heritages should be preserved, maintained and developed
for all people in Wisconsin.
• Respect for all languages and acceptance of diversity is essential for a healthy
society. All Wisconsin school districts must promote efforts to assure the provision
of equal educational opportunity for all children.
• The teaching and learning of languages is vital for the education of all children.
We will promote the provision of services to the children in both the community and
educational institutions throughout the state, by making Bilingual/Bicultural/Multicultural
Education an integral part of the school curricula.
• The most important tool for learning is the language(s) that the child brings to school.
We will work towards ensuring the recognition by legislative bodies and school districts
of the linguistic and cultural needs of children of languages other than English.
• Focused professional development for stakeholders is vital for lifelong learning,
understanding and growth. We will promote the development of professional
competence and standards in Bilingual Education.